MIAMI – Federal law enforcement is onafter an unprecedented number of threats against them after they searched former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate.
A joint FBI and Department of Homeland Security intelligence bulletin sent to law enforcement across the country warned of “…a threat to plant a so-called dirty bomb outside FBI headquarters.” and “…broad calls for ‘civil war’ and ‘armed rebellion’…and other threats.
The threats, circulating online, also included the names of two FBI agents who participated in the search.
Former FBI agent and now criminal defense attorney Stuart Kaplan called the threats outrageous.
“The men and women of the 56 field offices across the United States are the reason you and I can have this conversation this morning, they keep us safe,” he said.
Kaplan explains the process the FBI is likely to follow when filtering threats. He told CBS 4,
“I think the first thing the FBI is going to do is make sure our personal safety comes first. That means we take the necessary precautions to be a little more careful of our whereabouts. Our mode of transportation , our mode of travel.
Kaplan also said federal offices will likely have tighter security.
From the warrant, unsealed on Friday, detailed agents recovered nearly two dozen boxes of material containing eleven sets of classified documents, some marked top secret. Warrant revealed Trump may be under investigation for Espionage Act violation; obstruction; and theft of government documents.
Attorney General Merrick Garland defended the FBI operation and noted, “I personally endorsed the decision to seek a search warrant in this case.”
CBS News learned that weeks before the raid, a lawyer for Trump signed a document certifying that all classified documents had been removed from Mar-a-Lago, according to two sources familiar with the timeline of events and the decision to seek the search warrant.
But after Trump’s attorney certified that all classified documents had been removed from Mar-a-Lago, investigators realized that in fact there could still be more classified documents at the residence because they had spoken with a handful of people familiar with where and how documents are stored at the complex. It is not clear if these people are staffers of Trump or the Mar-a-Lago club.
Trump and his allies denounced the raid as a politically motivated raid by the Justice Department.
Since the raid, lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have demanded more transparency.
“The FBI lost its compass, which is its executive staff. Donald Trump as a candidate but certainly throughout his candidacy and then of course we’ve seen over the last four years and now a year and a half after he left office the FBI continues to target this individual,” he said.
The former president, who has not been charged, demands the immediate return of the documents seized from his home.