Township Discusses Law Enforcement Agreements, Addresses Park Assessment, Drought Management

0

THE WOODLANDS, TX – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors met on Wednesday August 24, 2022 and discussed law enforcement agreements, parks and recreation needs and response to the drought.

With respect to law enforcement for the part of The Woodlands that exists in Harris County, the council has approved an interlocal agreement for law enforcement services with Harris County for services provided by Harris County Constable, Precinct 4.

The Township’s Chief Operating Officer, Dr. Chris Nunes, presented the final report on the 2022 Parks and Recreation Needs Assessment. Over the past four months, consultant Asakura Robinson has met with the committee Parks and Recreation Advisory, held public meetings with the eight village associations, and compiled input from more than 2,000 surveys. Additionally, the company visited and inspected several neighborhood, regional, town, and city parks, as well as extensive research on community demographics and psychography. The Council accepted the study.

Advertising

The main conclusions of the study are as follows:

  • Overall, 66% of respondents indicated that at least 50% of their needs were met system-wide. The national benchmark for excellent condition is 29%.
  • Respondents who identified as residents of Woodlands Township generally visited community parks more than ten times per month.
  • The majority of respondents said the parks system contributes 11% to 20% of their home’s value or monthly rent. Compared to other villages, Creekside respondents had the highest share of total responses indicating that the park system contributed 31% or more to the value of their home.
  • Throughout the engagement period, residents have indicated that the parks and recreation system is one of the most important contributors to the overall quality of life in The Woodlands. About 98% of respondents rate the park system as “very important” to “extremely important”.
  • Within the parks and trails network, the lowest level of satisfaction was with recreation centres, with 10% of respondents indicating a level of satisfaction below 25%.

Dr. Nunes also presented a review of the drought management plan. Burditt LandPlace, the company that wrote both the Integrated Forest Management Plan and the Lakes and Ponds Management Plan, reviewed the current situation and advised that “we recommend that the Township of Woodlands continue to monitor pond conditions with respect to fish. and animal mortalities and vegetation growth and maintain the current reduction policy. Although some ponds are up to 1-2 feet below normal pool level, there is no significant impact on pond health at this time. If dry conditions continue from September to October, some ponds may need a little extra water. The Council accepted the report.

Advertising

Also on the regular agenda, the board received the financial report, awarded a contract for the Falconwing park pickleball courts, awarded a contract for the landscaping of the park and facilities, and renewed the sign cleaning contract. and pressure washing.

In accordance with the usual agenda, the Council retired in executive session. At its reconvened meeting, Council deferred the First Amendment to the Interlocal Cooperation Agreement by and between Montgomery County, Texas, and Woodlands Township for Additional Law Enforcement Services.

Earlier in the meeting, on the consent agenda, the Board awarded a contract for civil engineering and/or landscape architecture services, awarded a contract for video production services and approved updates. server software upgrade.

Members of the public were able to address Council at the start of the meeting, and Council also heard reports from representatives of village associations.

Woodlands Township Board meetings can be watched in person, viewed live online, or viewed later via recording at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/meetingvideos. The agenda and attachments can be viewed at https://www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/991/Agendas-Minutes-and-More.

Advertising


Share.

Comments are closed.